It all started with a 13 dollar duck from Chinatown (again) and my short attention span leading to burning my rendered duck fat. What to do with duck fat that has a slight burnt flavour to it? I guess the universe has spoken, it’s confit time, yet another one of my favourite restaurant must-haves (yes I got a lot of those).
- duck leg
- duck fat
- seasoning (salt, pepper, pepper corn, bayleaf)
- aromatics (garlic, thyme, onions)
- cure legs with salt, pepper and other dry seasoning overnight
- wipe off excess salt and cover in duck fat with aromatics in a pan/pot to cook in oven at 300 C for 1-1.5 hour (the beauty of confit at low tempt is that it's impossible to overcook it!)
- remove with duck fat and sear surface on a hot pan (can be stored in its own fat for a few days too)