I‘ve been in a rut… my diet has consisted of avocado banana smoothie for breakfast, tofu salad for lunch and popcorn…lots of popcorn for dinner and weekend meals…every-single-day (with the exception of going out to all the new foodie places to eat of course). So I might as well embrace my popcorn rut and share one of my favourite topping option.
I like making popcorn on the stovetop. It’s quick, easy with minimal burn. The caramel topping is salted caramel with an asian twist. Another topping I enjoy is hoisin + siracha sauce – also salty and sweet and minimal effort. The downside with that is the popcorn will get soggy from the water content of the sauce.
Yes I do realize that in my picture my popcorn isn’t so generously drizzled in caramel – it’s my attempt to not feel too guilty on my popcorn diet. the recipe can always doubled, tripled, pentapled? Is that a word?
- popped popcorn
- sugar, 2 tbsp
- butter, 1 tbsp
- milk, 1 tbsp
- miso, 1 tsp
- sprinkle! (i used seaweed)
- dissolve sugar in little water and wait til it bubbles and caramelizes (if white sugar, it should turn a lovely amber colour, if you are using coconut sugar like me... well then)
- add butter, milk, miso and stir
- mix with popcorn and spread on a sheet to dry
- top with whatever (highly recommend trying the nori seaweed)